When The Open began at Prestwick in 1860 the winner originally was presented with the Challenge Belt.
The Claret Jug dates to 1872 when an agreement was made between the Open’s three host venues: Prestwick, The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers and The Royal and Ancient Golf Club.
They agreed the winner would receive a Gold Medal and they would each contribute £10 to the cost of a new trophy: a silver Claret Jug.
The original Claret Jug has been on display at the clubhouse of the St Andrews Golf Club since 1928.
Updated: 14-Jul-2022 | Email feedback to this question