The tournament was founded in 1924.
The main competition is for the teams of 5 pairs of golfers playing scratch foursomes.
The draw for the main competition is held following the Public Schools Golfing Society’s AGM held in January every year.
In addition there are two other competitions. The Peter Kenyon Bowl, a handicap foursomes stableford competition open to all members of an appropriate Old Boys Golf Society and The Plate which is a scratch foursomes knockout for first round losers in the main competition.
The spiritual home of the tournament is Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club.
In 1950, the competition grew too large for a single club to host so the Royal St Georges Golf Club was asked to help and since that time, half the field has played its initial, two rounds at Royal St Georges Golf Club.
The Peter Kenyon bowl is played at the Princes Golf Club.
In 2001 a knockout plate competition was established which followed the same format as the Hewitt with teams comprising 3 pairs of golfers. This is played at Princes Golf Club.
Updated: 8-Jan-2022 | Email feedback to this question